Vocabulary: In the Airport
When you go to the airport, you first need to check in. Find your airline, then go to the check-in counter. For international flights, you are required to present your passport, but for domestic flights only a photo ID is required. When you booked your ticket, you probably got a confirmation number. You should show this too, just in case. The airline agent will ask if you want to check luggage or if you only have carry-on luggage. You should check your large luggage, but you can carry smaller suitcases on the plane. After the agent gives you your boarding passes, you can go through security.
counter – the desk or place where you do business (check in, pay money, etc.)
present – to show and give something to someone
domestic – within the country
international - outside of the country
photo ID – an official ID with a photo (such as a driver’s license or passport)
confirmation number – the number you get when you buy a ticket
agent – the person at the check-in counter who works for the airline
check luggage – to put your (larger) suitcases in the bottom of the airplane
carry-on luggage – smaller bags that you can carry on the plane (small suitcases, backpacks, pursues, etc.)
boarding passes – your ticket, which you must have to get on the plane
security – the part of the airport where they inspect passengers’ bags and make sure that they don’t have any weapons or anything illegal
Fill in the blanks with a vocabulary word in the box below.
1. The airline agent will give you your _____________ when you check in.
2. This is an _______________ flight, so you will need to bring your passport.
3. When I went through _______________, they told me I couldn’t take my pocket knife on the plane.
4. Please wait in line for the next available ________________.
5. After I paid for my plane ticket, the travel agent gave me a __________________.
6. Many _______________ airlines do not have international flights.
7. You can buy a ticket at the _______________ if you don’t have one.
8. My suitcase was too big, so I had to _______________ it.
9. When you go through security, they might ask you to ___________ your passport and boarding pass.
10. We need to _______________ before we can go through security.